3 VERY LIMITED "GET GOOD SLEEP" STORAGE PLANS FOR ALPHA TESTING

13»

Comments

• @Nekki said:
    I sometimes have issues sleeping, how will this help?

You cunt sleep I see.

Why?

• @jmaxwell said:

@Nekki said:

You cunt sleep I see.

Ah-Ha!

• @Nekki said:

This will not help with sleeping.
    You should do 21 burpees every morning, for better sleep at night.

• @yoursunny said:

@Nekki said:

This will not help with sleeping.
    You should do 21 burpees every morning, for better sleep at night.

I would need to drink a lot of fizzy pop to do 21.

• @cybertech said:
    just curious what raid will it be?

raid0, raid1 and police raid

(depending on the content hosted) :relieved:

Educationally teaches you with knowledge, while you learn and conglomeratively alluminate your academic intellectual profile: https://lowend.wiki
    „Homo homini rattus.“

• Thanks to everyone who commented in, I took a few days break away from the comments to think more about the idea. I'm convinced the idea will not work as many of you mentioned in terms of it simply being a storage alternative to much larger organizations. I'm still going to continue my second phase which is software/feature related. I have to re-iterate that I'm solving a personal problem which I was hoping to share with an expected smaller subset of the LE community (because I know it's expensive). I'm also very much aware of price sensitivity - I'm a bit surprised that many of you put your trust in the large organizations (I know they have good tech and skills but I just cannot see myself putting my trust in for example Amazon - I know they have come a long way and have become better at what they do but neither can I say I feel comfortable putting my data only on Google as well) NEVERTHELESS I APPRECIATE THE FEEDBACK SINCE IT'S A LEARNING LESSON!

The project basically started off solving my own challenge which is trust only to be shut down by others on the merit of trust as well (ironically) so I'm still motivated to solve the problem I had previously which is data loss. This week the provider I store my backups with had to go down due to node issues and it still seems to me that this project again is necessary for me - maybe one day it will be worth merit and some of you will reconsider my stand point. I've said this throughout the years actually that I have very little confidence in RAID10 which to most of the IT world seems to be heressy but say what - everybody has their own taste. I'm just really trying to sleep good at night (as funny as that sounds and as much holes poked into the implementation) - I've solved this partially for myself.

There's a next part I'm trying to solve for myself which is ease of use from another angle and I'm being very careful not to release that info yet but I'm hoping it will be relatively the exciting part to see what can be done with the storage - I know for sure others will poke holes in that as well but I'm still doing it because I really need it. I'll still likely make offers available - and if people want to come on board - by all means that would be great - even if it's just enough to fill one batch of nodes - it would still be awesome. IF no one use it, bummer, but not the end of the world. I love building things and again the most enjoyable part (other than actually a profit - while small) is actually people using and liking what I build - can't say I've achieved that here as yet but I'll stay optimistic.

Thanks to all the testers so far - you pretty much have storage space indefinitely for free and also thanks to all those who commented in with feedback (even if I saw it as negative - it's still probably realistic so I appreciate it!)

Will keep everyone updated as things hopefully progress!

Thanked by (2)ralf bugrakoc

https://onddns.com - FREE Dynamic Realtime DNS powered by 10 DDoS protected servers around the world!

• edited July 2022

BTW, on OGF, @Neoon mentioned seaweed FS a while ago that sounded interesting and might solve some of the things you're trying to solve.
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3437916/#Comment_3437916

Thanked by (1)risharde
  • @ralf said:
    BTW, on OGF, @Neoon mentioned seaweed FS a while ago that sounded interesting and might solve some of the things you're trying to solve.

Never used that on that cluster, had issues with the mount and people reported suddenly corrupt files.

Thanked by (2)ralf risharde
  • You sure sound passionate about this. If you consider open sourcing your code down the road I'd love to look at it. I'm sure it'll be interesting.

Thanked by (1)iandk
  • @Neoon said:

@ralf said:

Never used that on that cluster, had issues with the mount and people reported suddenly corrupt files.

Going to try it again, in a few days, I let you know.
    Time to setup my mega cluster.

https://github.com/Ne00n/seaweed-spawner-3000
    Gonna be helpful once more.

• I noticed this discussion today only, it was interesting read. @risharde does seems to be passionate and defending his idea was great. But later on accepting that it may not work was kind of smart.

Whatever you are doing it, keep doing just try to think what problem are you trying to solve which is not solved by others already or atleast you can do better than them. Even if it fails, you will still gain a lot in terms of knowledge and experience which you might put to good use elsewhere in future.