Divi introduces Full-Site Front-End Editing

2»

Comments

• @bikegremlin said: For me at least, when making a page with very few elements, it is easy to get very high scores.

I agree, but before the Divi update happened my pagespeed score on that site was in the 50s-60s iirc :(

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Ympker
  • edited October 2021

Divi looks like a good choice until you start working with SEO and other optimization. You can, for example, not add rel="sponsored"* to a button.

I regret that I bought a lifetime license some years ago because I have wasted so much time making workarounds for stuff that you would expect that worked out of the box.

*) https://developers.google.com/search/docs/advanced/guidelines/qualify-outbound-links

Thanked by (1)quicksilver03
  • @frog said:
    Divi looks like a good choice until you start working with SEO and other optimization. You can, for example, not add rel="sponsored"* to a button.

I regret that I bought a lifetime license some years ago because I have wasted so much time making workarounds for stuff that you would expect that worked out of the box.

*) https://developers.google.com/search/docs/advanced/guidelines/qualify-outbound-links

Yes, quite strange to not allow custom link tags for buttons.
    Though, I'd bet a beer that adding "nofollow" (which is possible) will be enough as far as Google is concerned - if an affiliate/paid promotion link has to be done via a button.

What other SEO related problems did you have?
    What other optimization related problems?

Can you compare it to other page builders (not themes)?

BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

• edited November 2021

@bikegremlin said:

@frog said:

Though, I'd bet a beer that adding "nofollow" (which is possible) will be enough as far as Google is concerned - if an affiliate/paid promotion link has to be done via a button.

Yes, for now, because the ugc and sponsored are relatively new attributes. Updating all pages when that changes will be a nightmare.

@bikegremlin said:

I no longer use Divi, and I don't remember all the problems in detail. But I very often ended up making the page content manually.
    Each time I asked ElegantThemes support for help with technical SEO issues, they came up with a jQuery workaround that rarely worked.

The last time I checked, Elementor was up to date when it comes to SEO. But it was some time ago. My needs have changed, so today, I program my websites with Django.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Ympker
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOG
    edited November 2021

@frog said:

@bikegremlin said:

@frog said:

Yes, for now, because the ugc and sponsored are relatively new attributes. Updating all pages when that changes will be a nightmare.

@bikegremlin said:

I no longer use Divi, and I don't remember all the problems in detail. But I very often ended up making the page content manually.
    Each time I asked ElegantThemes support for help with technical SEO issues, they came up with a jQuery workaround that rarely worked.

The last time I checked, Elementor was up to date when it comes to SEO. But it was some time ago. My needs have changed, so today, I program my websites with Django.

A simple search-replace can fix the nofollow problem - unless Google starts penalizing links that have "nofollow sponsored sponsored" - if you already have some links with "nofollow sponsored," and some with just the "nofollow." But that too can be fixed with another search-replace. :)

My websites are full of "ordinary" (not done using buttons) affiliate links that are just "nofollow." If it becomes an issue, I think I'll go the search-replace route instead of editing hundreds of links manually.

As for the other problems you mentioned - how long ago have you stopped using Divi, i.e. how up-to-date is your feedback? Asking because from what I could gather, they did improve noticeably. Over two years ago, I was comparing the available options and at that time, Elementor looked like the lesser of the available evils (good tutorials did play a large part in my decision). But now I'm giving Divi a test and it's not looking bad (still learning the ropes though).

BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

• edited November 2021

I stopped using Divi last year.

Since "nofollow" and "sponsored" means 2 different things, it is risky to replace them all with find and replace.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee ModeratorOGServices Provider

I guess Divi is now on my list should I ever have a project backed by a budget in the future.

Hopefully it stays relatively affordable?

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Michael

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOG
    edited November 2021

Well - Divi seems to still be relying on shortcodes.

When you remove Elementor (for whatever reason), you get the basic of the layout still existing.
    When you remove Divi - you just get [divi-shortcode-xyz fsdljkfalkjsdfkljsadfklsdjafklsdjfkljsdflksdjflkčsdfkljfsdfds]

That's something to consider. Especially if you build a lot of pages with Divi.

Also, Elementor seems a bit more intuitive, but maybe it's just me - needing to get used to a different tool.
    Top class super fast support though - it must be said.

BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited November 2021

@bikegremlin said:

@frog said:

@bikegremlin said:

@frog said:

@bikegremlin said:

A simple search-replace can fix the nofollow problem - unless Google starts penalizing links that have "nofollow sponsored sponsored" - if you already have some links with "nofollow sponsored," and some with just the "nofollow." But that too can be fixed with another search-replace. :)

My websites are full of "ordinary" (not done using buttons) affiliate links that are just "nofollow." If it becomes an issue, I think I'll go the search-replace route instead of editing hundreds of links manually.

As for the other problems you mentioned - how long ago have you stopped using Divi, i.e. how up-to-date is your feedback? Asking because from what I could gather, they did improve noticeably. Over two years ago, I was comparing the available options and at that time, Elementor looked like the lesser of the available evils (good tutorials did play a large part in my decision). But now I'm giving Divi a test and it's not looking bad (still learning the ropes though).

The rel="sponsored" etc seem to be indeed an issue. Didn't need it so far. There seems to be yet another workaround on Stacksocial (not tested): https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60694552/can-we-add-attributes-to-buttons-in-divi-theme

@MichaelCee I have been with them since a couple of years now and, so far, it doesn't seem like the Lifetime Deal will be discontinued. That being said, bf is around the door ;)