HostMantis to migrate customers to "DynamicHosting.ca"

13»

Comments

• so I finally decided to pull a plug from the HM and switched to myw.pt, and I'm so glad I did bcos the new support staff is just the worst. they have stereotypical replies like send us MTR and all while their uptime monitor was showing that service was down.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited August 2022

@debaser said:
    I didn’t wait and actually choose a local provider to migrate my own stuff to. Paying yearly what I paid for 3 years at HostMantis, but that wasn’t gonna last anyway.

Migration was pretty easy: DirectAdmin-> DirectAdmin. I really love DA and hate CPanel with a passion, so having DA was a must. Luckily that has been the golden standard for Dutch budget hosters for about 15 years. So I had plenty to choose from.

Happy to hear migration was smooth. I migrated from HM to MyW.pt (Mike) a couple weeks ago already and everything went smooth, too. Website performance is great and everything works like a charm :)

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin MikePT
  • edited August 2022

I still with them, but it is looks like some-shit-cheap hosting now (with new management).
    In last month I have raised three tickets with them because my sites goes down (node "deprm60").

One of them was because Litespeed crashes and stop answering on 80&443 port queries.
    Two of them is because server /tmp folder is full.
    A lot of small downtimes at my night (regarding hetrixtools).

Yes, they replied on tickets in about 40 mins (slow, but acceptable) and fixing problem fast.

But c'mon.
    On my own VPS with my "shared hosting skills" (which nearly zero) uptime was much better than with "New Hostmantis".
    I paid ~$200/yr and want superb service (like with "old hostmantis").

Looks like guys don't know anything about how to prevent failures and fixes them with google after client create ticket.

Regretfully that great company and great service transforms to "even summerhost works better" service. :anguished:

edited August 2022

Fwiw, I also jumped ship, however I wouldn't call a 40 minute ticket reply "slow". Can recommend @MikePT hosting. You will be in good hands :)

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • @Ympker said: however I wouldn't call a 40 minute ticket reply "slow"

Yep, that's why i wrote "acceptable".
    I just compare with myself - if I see that hetrixtools report something goes wrong and project down I will check what is wrong with node asap.

I think that hosting providers have some monitoring system and get notification "oh, /tmp is 99% full" and do something.
    For today my site was down for 57 minutes for $200+/year.

And I think that /tmp will be full again in next three weeks. :(

So time to move. But still not decided, move to providers or give a try to DA and myself.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@SashkaPro said:

@Ympker said: however I wouldn't call a 40 minute ticket reply "slow"

Yep, that's why i wrote "acceptable".
    I just compare with myself - if I see that hetrixtools report something goes wrong and project down I will check what is wrong with node asap.

I think that hosting providers have some monitoring system and get notification "oh, /tmp is 99% full" and do something.
    For today my site was down for 57 minutes for $200+/year.

And I think that /tmp will be full again in next three weeks. :(

So time to move. But still not decided, move to providers or give a try to DA and myself.

You wrote "slow, but acceptable" mentioning "slow" first. Hence my comment.

Anyway, regarding your options, I found that a good shared hosting provider is more convenient than having to self-host and keep vps secured while performance is often also better out of the box when using a good shared host (as was HM in the past). You also save lots on licensing cost, because shared hosts are the ones paying for DA, JetBackup, MailChannels, Litespeed etc. So there's that. A VPS, ofc, gives you max. flexibility.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin SashkaPro
  • debaserdebaser OG
    edited August 2022

@SashkaPro said:

I self hosted a lot of sites, not for myself, friends and family. Nothing really important except maybe a local forum whit reasonable traffic.

After some years I grew tired of it. If you think a 40 minute wait is slow, you shouldn’t do it yourself. Because you will be your own provider and chances are, problems take a lot longer to solve than 40 minutes. A VPS or dedi provider won’t hold your hand and ticket reply times usually take a bit longer too.

I decided to go with shared hosting. Divided the sites over 2 providers (ALL-INKL and Hostmantis) and went one. The HM sites are now moved to a Dutch provider, the ALL-INKL sites are still going strong.

@debaser said:

@SashkaPro said:

I self hosted a lot of sites, not for myself, friends and family. Nothing really important except maybe a local forum whit reasonable traffic.

After some years I grew tired of it. If you think a 40 minute wait is slow, you shouldn’t do it yourself. Because you will be your own provider and chances are, problems take a lot longer to solve than 40 minutes. A VPS or dedi provider won’t hold your hand and ticket reply times usually take a bit longer too.

I decided to go with shared hosting. Divided the sites over 2 providers (ALL-INKL and Hostmantis) and went one. The HM sites are now moved to a Dutch provider, the ALL-INKL sites are still going strong.

ALL-INKL is the Victorinox in german web hosting business. They have been in business for an eternity and are rocksolid. Only thing, which is also why I don't use them right now, is that I grew fond of providers providing extra backups that can be restored with the click of a button (for convenience that's faster than restoring from external backups) and some DA/cPanel features, but mostly backups. AllInkl is prem :D

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin debaser
  • @Ympker said: You also save lots on licensing cost

Yeah, you right. But if it will be VPS than I do not need Cloudlinux (I am the only on server). My sites is quite old opencart that not using Litespeed features, so nginx+apache will be ok for me. Jetbackup since 5 version becomes trash for me and I backup my sites via whmbackupsolution (thanks bikegremlin for tutor). So, DA or even centminmod will be ok. Mailchannels yes, but I have mxroute. :)

@debaser said: VPS or dedi provider won’t hold

I already have dedi on hetzner network for my voip projects, and the main problem for me is that I do not need any handholding, site transfer or other stuff. Just provide me server with great uptime, that's all. This is exactly the reason why I don't self host anymore - my server need to reboot for security patches/kernel updates. With my current voip projects I can do reboot's safely at the night.
    If something goes wrong during server update I at least have night to fix problem somehow. And if sites will goes down for night it will be tragedy.
    So hostmantis till dynamic guys was great choice - a lot of money (for me) for zero headache.
    But now this is a lot of money for the same headache.

Will check Mike's project. I'm also considering ramnode. I have three weeks for this. :)

Thanks for the tips and discussion.

• vyasvyas OGContent Writer

@SashkaPro said:

Will check Mike's project. I'm also considering ramnode. I have three weeks for this. :)

Check the reviews on ramnode after they got acquired. Best wishes.

Thanked by (1)SashkaPro

VPS reviews | | MicroLXC | English is my nth language.

• @vyas said:

@SashkaPro said:

Check the reviews on ramnode after they got acquired. Best wishes.

Better to check out the other Mike @MikeA to compare.

• nullroutenullroute Hosting Provider

I removed my main site from HM, all others still work perfectly on HM, I've never had downtime in over 1 year and support still responds quickly.

https://purplehost.com.br - Reliable, secure and affordable game hosting.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOG

@nullroute said:
    I removed my main site from HM, all others still work perfectly on HM, I've never had downtime in over 1 year and support still responds quickly.

It's a brand new provider as far as I'm concerned.
    IMO: it will take to the end of this year for things to get "settled" and only then could one assess what the service is really like (uptime, performance, security, and tech. support).

BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

• @bikegremlin said: It's a brand new provider as far as I'm concerned.

about whom you talking? DynamicHosting.ca claims on their website that they over the market for 10 years already.
    I think that "settle-time" for experienced company/stuff should not be a problem...

Tonight hetrixtools reports downtime for site for 30 minutes (hopefully fixes by itself).

edited August 2022

@SashkaPro said:

@bikegremlin said: It's a brand new provider as far as I'm concerned.

about whom you talking? DynamicHosting.ca claims on their website that they over the market for 10 years already.
    I think that "settle-time" for experienced company/stuff should not be a problem...

Tonight hetrixtools reports downtime for site for 30 minutes (hopefully fixes by itself).

I'm talking about the service now offered/provided under the "HostMantis - a DynamicHosting company" brand.

Dynamic hosting didn't offer reseller hosting before, as far as I know. It's a new thing for them.

BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

• @bikegremlin said: Dynamic hosting didn't offer reseller hosting before, as far as I know. It's a new thing for them.

Got your idea.
    But I think that "cpanel is cpanel, da is da". So shared is shared, they should be experienced at least from tech side.

But looks like that don't get into tech side of HM (if it works - okay, if it's not - just fix on demand).

@SashkaPro said:

@bikegremlin said: Dynamic hosting didn't offer reseller hosting before, as far as I know. It's a new thing for them.

Got your idea.
    But I think that "cpanel is cpanel, da is da". So shared is shared, they should be experienced at least from tech side.

But looks like that don't get into tech side of HM (if it works - okay, if it's not - just fix on demand).

cPanel is cPanel, but not every cPanel reseller hosting is equally good.
    Knowledge, experience and a will to offer good service are all required.
    Some just don't really care about the latter, and don't care to bother to acquire the former.

BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

• @SashkaPro said: And I think that /tmp will be full again in next three weeks

forget about what I said.

Today twice /tmp was full and then mariadb was down (total downtime 30 min +1h30min) while their hetrixtools says that "ah 100% uptime all is great".

Will move sites on next week.

Thanked by (2)Ympker MichaelCee
  • You do have to wonder how HM managed to keep things running so well, now DynamicHosting doesn't appear competent at all. Everything HM has is OVH as far as I recall so not like there is any significant change or issue with colo. By the sound of it, they are not monitoring things closely at all.

@Lee said:
    You do have to wonder how HM managed to keep things running so well, now DynamicHosting doesn't appear competent at all. Everything HM has is OVH as far as I recall so not like there is any significant change or issue with colo. By the sound of it, they are not monitoring things closely at all.

It is my understanding that DH are migrating the infrastructure (at least that was the original plan).
    Not sure about the team - is everyone from HM getting replaced/fired.

BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

Hey guys!

Thank you so much for the recommendations to signup for MyW! As a small business, we really appreciate it! :-)

Thanked by (3)bikegremlin Ympker flips